Transcribe for Energy Bulletin
Volunteer transcribing for Energy Bulletin
We request your help in transcribing select audio and video interviews. Transcriptions add value to media pieces by making it possible to search and reference the text. Transcribing is a valuable way to help Energy Bulletin. We will credit your name as the transcriber along with the article. To get started Contact us.
Guidelines for transcribing
- Always spell check
- Grammar check
- Remove 'ums', 'ahs', and extraneous "you know"s which occur in the actual audio
- Condense false starts and repeated words. Example: "But that's... even that reassurance makes one nervous" should be condensed to: "But even that reassurance makes one nervous."
- Format like this page
- Basic HTML is best; text, rtf, or Word is fine too.
- Use Google or otherwise confirm spelling of names of individuals mentioned
- If there is something that you do not understand, mark with asterisks and the time (e.g., "***** [2:31]")
Tips for transcribing
- Listen to the audio in short segments using the pause button and noting the time as you go. This makes it easy to rewind and listen again to a particular segment.
- Always make a note of the time before taking a break so that you can easily find your place.
- If you get really stuck on a section, mark down the time where it appears and move on. It may become clearer in the context of the whole piece. Otherwise mark it with asterisks for the reviewer (see above).
If you want to get started, Contact us. If there is a particular piece which has caught your eye which you would like to work on, please let us know, otherwise we will assign whichever piece is top of the list.